Welcome to the online home of St Matthew’s Community Centre, Hartlepool. St Matthew’s has been at the heart of the Elwick Road area community for over 100 years. Originally built as a mission church of All Saints, Stranton, it was converted into a Parish Hall in 1945. In the 1960s a second smaller hall was added. From 2003, gradually an extensive programme began, to renovate the whole building and upgrade the facilities, in order to become a Community Centre serving the local community.
Roofing, heating and lighting have been renewed. Now the main hall provides a large versatile space for badminton, dance, youth and children’s activities and meetings. The creation of 3 meeting rooms, a kitchen and an office, with access from Arncliffe Gardens, has enabled provision for small community groups and meetings.
In 2019 the small hall kitchen was renovated. Also a large new kitchen was added accessible from both halls, together with an accessible toilet available to main hall users.
St Matthew’s Community Centre aims to be a welcoming and affordable space for the local community. We are a ‘not for profit’ organisation, run by volunteers.